Sellers and resale royalties
If you sell artworks, under the artists' resale royalty scheme you must:
- make sure that each resale through an agent (such as a gallery or dealer) for $1,000 or more is reported to Copyright Agency – you can do this though your agent
- make sure that any royalty due to the artist is paid
A royalty is payable on a resale if:
- you acquired the work after 8 June 2010 (there is no royalty payable on the first change of ownership after 8 June 2010);
- the sale price (including GST) was $1,000 or more; and
- the artist is Australian.
Buyers and resale royalties
A buyer can be responsible for payment of a resale royalty if there is no seller's agent and no buyer's agent involved.
A buyer is also obliged to provide information about a resale on request from Copyright Agency.
For more information
Contact Copyright Agency
If you have a question about the Resale Royalty Scheme, the Copyright Agency or anything else, please fill in our enquiry form